One of the most important supplements that you should have in your diet is, Omega 3 (also known as fish oil)!
The top 10 reasons why you should have Omega 3 in your diet.
1) Reduces blood triglyceride levels (fatty material that circulates in the blood): Strong scientific evidence indicates that it reduces LDL cholesterol (bad ones) and increases HDL cholesterol (good ones) which helps in the prevention of heart disease and reduces the risk of heart attacks and strokes by improving cardiovascular health. It can also help to lower high blood pressure.
2) Prevention of cancer: Several studies have reported that it has anti-cancer properties (particularly breast, colon and prostate cancer).
3) Anti-inflammatory: Can help with joint pains by reducing inflammation at the joints, i.e rheumatoid arthritis.
4) Improved brain function: Studies have shown that Omega 3 improves mental function, reduces cognitive decline and starve off Alzheimers. It is also associated with a lower risk of dementia and may prevent memory impairment in later years.
5) Prevents macular degeneration: Who wouldn’t want to keep their eyesight sharp for as long as they can!?
6) Improves body composition: By increasing insulin sensitivity which results in reducing fat storage and mobilize fat burning cells.
7) Reduces signs of skin aging and prevention of skin disorders: By promoting the production of collagen and boosting the hydration levels of the skin. Helpful in preventing and treating skin disorders such as Eczema due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
8) Muscle action: Needed for fast-twitch muscle fiber function. Those who undertake physical sports, strength athletes and people undertaking weight training will all benefit from building fast twitch muscles.
9) Stimulates blood circulation: May benefit people with circulatory problems such as varicose veins.
10) Can help reduce depression and anxiety.
Omega 3 usage:
Over the counter Fish or Cod liver oils are usually very weak in their formulations including the ones that are labelled as high/extra strength. They are usually sold in 1000mg per soft capsule, although higher dosages are getting more common now. This is the complete weight of the oil and does not constitute 100% of the active ingredients EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) that we are interested in as they usually also contain other added ingredients. Typically they only contain about 50% of the active ingredients at best.
In order to get adequate amount for it to have a substancial benefit to us, we need to get around 3g-6g of EPA & DHA for the average healthy individual and much higher dosages for treating certain conditions. Its easier to get higher dosages from liquid as opposed to capsules they have generally have higher concentrations and is more value for money unless you don’t mind swallowing a boatload of pills each day! Many studies have used substantially higher dosages with no major side effects. Generally higher quality oils are more expensive as they go through a better filtration process to ensure that the oil is purer and contain less harmful amounts of metals and PCBs which are damaging to our health, so it pays to fork out more for a better quality product.
The health benefits of Omega 3 are vast. Not only does it help us in changing our body composition and improving our skin, making us look better aesthetically, but it is also vital to our internal health making us feel better as well. Additionally it can also keep us off illnesses and diseases which is why collectively, I think makes this the most important nutrient that we should all include in our diets.
Stay Healthy & Strong,
Steven Wong – CPT, Pn1
N.B. If you find this article useful, it would be awesome if you would share it with your friends! Click on any of the social media icons below to share. Thanks a mil! 🙂